Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Quiet the Mind, Ease the Pain: A Journey to fight Cancer




Jill, Shauna, and John outside of Prana.
By: Shauna MacKay

Cancer can sneak up on you anytime.

Just ask Prana student, John Beliveau.

It was January 25, 2011. John remembers the date exactly as it was a mere two days after his mother’s funeral when he joined his friends for their regular boot camp workout.

After a vigorous session that had him keeping pace with guys twenty years younger, John planned to run the short distance home as usual.

“But I couldn’t,” he said. “I tried to man-up but the fatigue was overwhelming. I just couldn’t do it and I knew something was wrong.”

Within a week, he had his diagnosis, Acute Myeloid Leukemia.

“I was leaving my dermatologist’s office after the removal of a basal cell sarcoma from the back of my leg when I got the call from the oncologist.” John recounted.

By February 3rd, John began a stint of ten weeks in the hospital that included two rounds of chemotherapy; a re-admittance to fight a serious infection and finally a two-week stay for a bone marrow transfer.

“And than I was sent home to recover with strict instructions to stay out of the sun, the ocean, away from pets and groups of people or anywhere germs may be. Essentially, I was housebound.”

Unable to participate fully in life, John missed events and gatherings including a family wedding.  Time passed slowly.
“It felt like I had been through something big and it left me with anxiety and stress,” John recounted. “I was giving myself shots and taking medication throughout the night, it seemed there was a lot to worry about.”

As a Prana yoga teacher focused on cancer, I was invited to visit John and his wife Lori less than a month after he was released from the hospital. We began with simple guided meditations to quiet the mind and ease the nervous system.

“I was doing something different. I wasn’t a meditation person but at the end I would feel real relaxed and content.” John said.

We worked together once a week for about a year. Eventually morphing into a physical practice as John’s strength and health improved.

“The yoga and meditation helped me accept things a lot better. I felt more grounded and centered. Before yoga, I didn’t even know what that meant. And now I use the breathing techniques I’ve learned when I feel hyper or anxious.” John continued.

The last two years have been a journey for John especially when last spring, his daughter Jill was diagnosed with an early stage, but an aggressive form of breast cancer. But with all that John has been through, he’s able to be there for his daughter in a unique and powerful way.  Jill is doing well now and happily tending to the needs of her two little boys.

So the next time you’re at Prana check out the 8:30am hatha class and you may see John and Lori practicing yoga with our other morning yogis, breathing through the postures getting “grounded” and ready for anything that might try to “sneak” up on them.




Shauna MacKay is a Prana hatha and happy back yoga teacher. She is leading a Yoga, Mindfulness and Meditation workshop for Cancer Patients, Survivors, Friends and Family March 3. To register go to www.Prana-Yoga.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment