Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Experience as a Mentor

By: Sara Deakin

I want to start off by saying “CONGRATULATIONS” to all of the graduates of the 500hr Yoga Works professional teacher training. I can’t tell you how impressed I am by the passion and dedication that each and everyone one of the graduates displayed throughout the training. One of my teachers, Douglas Brooks, said “the question is not how extraordinary your gifts are but rather it is how extraordinarily you can use your gifts”. Witnessing their progress, their drive and their inspiring final projects, I have no doubt that there are going to be amazing things that will transpire from this group. There will, without a doubt, be many lives touched and positively altered by this group.

I have been lucky enough to mentor five of the graduates, Paul, Alice, Missy, Bryan and Morgan. Originally when Gerhard asked me to be a mentor for the program I was surprised and unsure that I was ready to take on such an important role. I looked back at my teachers and mentor. They have had such a profound effect on my life as a student and teacher. Was I worthy to take this on? It is a huge responsibility to pass on the sacred practice of yoga. Again I referred back to another teacher, Ganga White, to help me make my decision. He is a firm believer that in order to make yoga applicable and beneficial to our lives today, we must honor history and the wisdom of the teachers that came before us, while at the same time applying our uniqueness and discoveries of the present. So with humbleness, I accepted the opportunity. I can’t tell how grateful I am that I did. I realized that with the insight of my teachers and a promise to be true to my authentic voice, I had chance to share what yoga truly is today, a practice that transforms lives and inspires people to be the best version of themselves.

The time that I spent with my mentees was a blessed experience. We created a playground where we could share ideas, experiences, fears and hopes, and in the end I believed we began to tap into the unlimited potential that each one of us possesses. Pretty exciting and inspirational stuff!

Thank you to Gerhard and my mentees for keeping my heart open and my passion alive! 


No comments:

Post a Comment